Re: The features I'm waiting for.

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The features I'm waiting for.
Date: 2004-05-04 15:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe wrote:
> For me, the only features I'm likely to use in the upcoming releases are
> nested transactions. While PITR is a great selling point, and the Windows
> Port is something I do look forward to, having to do half my job
> programming windows boxes, nested transactions are a feature I can
> genuinely use in my daily (maybe weekly??? :-) life.
>
> While a focus on things that make postgresql more market acceptable are
> important, the things that make it more feature complete to me as a user
> are the things I'd gladly wait an extra month or two for.
>
> But I'm not programming any of the code, so I'm just sayin'...

I'm sure everybody has their own favorite feature. But I can say quite
confidently that the upcoming release contains the most number of highly
anticipated features ever. Nested transaction, 2-phase commit, Windows
port... I mean these are all major stuffs. They are paving the way of
deployments of Postgres in new areas and applications. Plus don't forget
all the other sweet goodies like autovacuum and PITR.

But the next release could also be the buggies version ever, due to the
number of these new features. :-)

--
dave