Re: Fixed directory locations in installs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed directory locations in installs
Date: 2004-05-02 14:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>In other words:
>
> #dynamic_library_path = '$libdir'
>
>could maybe become:
>
> #dynamic_library_path = '/usr/local/pgsql/lib'

Not sure I follow - dynamic_library_path is a colon-separated set of
paths. How will somone using $libdir have that resolved? ISTM we need to
have another GUC var which sets it, rather than have it compiled in and
not able to be overridden. It's not really an initdb-time thing either -
it's an install-time thing - so the installer could add the right path
to postgresql.conf.sample. Of course, if people move directories around
after installation they are asking to shoot themselves in the foot, but
that's true now anyway.

cheers

andrew