Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 01:16:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>Personally, I think there are alot of large features that ppl have been
>hard at getting complete in time for June 1st that we should stick to it,
>else we're going to end up with 'yet another release' delayed in hopes
>that the outstanding bugs in Win32 will get fixed in a reasonable amount
>of time ...
>
>June 1st, let's do beta for 7.5 and then branch onto 8.0, with 8.0 key'd
>to the Win32 Native port being finished ...
>
>If that means 8.0 happens to be September 1st, so be it ...

Bruce agreed that this had been vague before today, so if people have
had this date in mind and have been working to it, perhaps they have
some telepathic abilities I lack ...

We missed on PITR *and* Win32 last year. ISTM there's a bit of a
credibility issue at stake, so it might well be worth taking a couple of
weeks leeway if that's what is required.

The other point, especially about Win32, is to see if we can spread the
load a bit. Perhaps Claudio, Magnus, Merlin and Bruce should start
trying to farm out specific tasks. I for one will be very upset if it
misses this release.

cheers

andrew