Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 18:10:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do we
> want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.
>
> Some are saying that once Win32 is ready, it will justify a release even
> if the other features are not ready.

I think we should have this conversation once the win32 code is ready.
Since the beta period / release schedule usually takes several months in
and of it self, anyone working on an item from the list below is going
to lose a lot of steam if they are 80% done but get excluded from 7.5
and have to wait out the release process.

> Looking at the list:
>
> o tablespaces (Gavin)
> o nested transactions (Alvaro)
> o two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)
> o integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)
> o PITR (Riggs)
> o Win32 (Claudio, Magnus)
> o replication (Sloney)
> o server-side Java
>
> o integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)
>
> Unknown. We need fixes for temp tables for 7.4.3 too.

Yes I know, starting next week, I will have some time to work on this.
I will fix the temp table problem first, then the 7.5 only work. FYI, I
do fully intend on getting pg_autovacuum integrated for 7.5, even with a
June 1 deadline.

Matthew O'Connor