Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Anony Mous <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-04-22 16:46:07
Lists: pgsql-general

>Server. I've heard that Postgresql is a task that runs with "Normal"
>priority, and can therefore not lock up the machine to the point where it's
>not recoverable. In contrast, I've heard as well that MS SQL Server does
>indeed run as a high priority task and will take precedence when the OS
>doles out CPU resources.
>
>How is it possible for Postgresql to "freak out" and take out the machine?

It is not that it would (I haven't had it happen) but it could. I am
speaking more from a business liability
standpoint than a technical capability standpoint.

One would not typically in a production environment put to RDMS on the
same machine. Your management's
fears are well founded in general. They have nothing to do with
PostgreSQL as much as much as they have
to do with the fact that you are:

A. Running Win2000? Which although reasonably stable doesn't scale well.
B. Running MS SQL which is known to be a resource hog.
C. Considering putting PostgreSQL with an emulated environment on top of
it all.

My response would be the same if the question would about MySQL or
Firebird. It just eeks to bad mojo.
Think about the diagnosing problems!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake