License question

From: Shachar Shemesh <shachar(at)lingnu(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: License question
Date: 2004-04-22 09:12:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Haim,

Is the PostgreSQL license (http://www.postgresql.org/licence.html) LGPL
compatible? I have adapted some code (for jdate manipulation) into the
OLE DB project (LGPL). I have copied over the copyright notice, but now
I'm thinking that this may not be enough.

On the front page of the site (http://www.postgresql.org/) it says
"*Licence <http://www.postgresql.org/licence.html>* PostgreSQL is
distributed under the flexible BSD licence." but the license is not the
BSD license proper.

It seems close, though not identical, to the X11 license
(http://www.x.org/Downloads_terms.html), which the FSF define as "GPL
compatible" (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html). Yet, the
X11 license requires an inclusion of a certain paragraph, which is not
mandated by the LGPL, and which gives permissions not granted by the GPL.

I'm confused.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting