Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp
Date: 2004-04-21 03:51:31
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
>

>>This is a good question, and I would like some opinions from some other
>>people more informed than I.
>>

>You *can not* vacuum other sessions' temp tables; you don't have access
>to the data. (You have no way to get at pages that are modified in
>someone else's local buffer manager.) You could vacuum your own temp
>tables, if you had any, but I would hardly expect autovacuum to have
>any.

Ok, so I will change pg_autovacuum to explicitly ignore temp tables.
Just to be sure, I can do this by avoiding anything found in the pg_temp
schemea, or is there a better way? Is it possible that a user could or
would put a non-temp table the pg_temp schemea?

>In reference to Chris' followup question, you *should* be vacuuming
>system catalogs, and you *should not* be vacuuming TOAST tables. VACUUM
>on a regular table automatically hits the associated TOAST table.

Ok, this is as I thought, pg_autovacuum is already doing the right thing
here. (see the post I just sent a few minutes ago for more details).

Thanks Tom,

Matthew