Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp tables

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp tables
Date: 2004-04-21 03:46:09
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Does pg_autovacuum vacuum and analyze system catalog and TOAST tables
> properly?

Properly? I think so, that is to the best of my knowledge which is a
bit limited :-)

Toast Tables: pg_autovacuum doesn't do anything to toast tables
explicitly. I am not aware that they need to be considered, I believe
that if you vacuum table_foo which has an underlying toast table, then
vacuum "does the right thing". Am I wrong? Someone please enlighten me
if I am and I will fix.

System Tables: pg_autovacuum treats non-shared system tables just like
any other table. It monitors the activity and vacuums when it deems it
appropriate. As for shared system tables: In user databases they are
only analyzed by pg_autovacuum, while connected to template1,
pg_autovacuum will treat the shared tables as normal tables and vacuum
when appropriate.

Does all this sound kosher?

Thanks,

Matthew