Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower

From: David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: postgis-devel(at)postgis(dot)refractions(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower
Date: 2004-04-19 20:41:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I tracked the problem down to the "penalty" function used to build the
tree. Basically, it compares the area of the bounding boxes.

There wasnt enough precision in the area calculations - instead of
giving 0.0 it would give numbers in the[+-]10^-6 range. This really
screwed up how the tree was being built.

I cast the float to doubles when calculating area, and it all works well
now.

dave