Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower
Date: 2004-04-16 22:16:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd suggest profiling the backend with both key types to get an idea of
>> where the time is going.

> I've been trying to use gprof to do some profiling, but I'm having
> troubles. Whats the best way to profile?

It's not hard; the only real gotcha is that on Linux systems you need to
compile with -DLINUX_PROFILE so that the postmaster works around some
Linux brain damage with dropping the profile status at fork().
I usually do (in an already configured and built source tree)

cd src/backend
make clean
make PROFILE="-pg -DLINUX_PROFILE" all
make install-bin

Don't forget that the backends will drop their gmon.out files in
$PGDATA/data/DBOID/gmon.out.