Re: Bug with PATHs having non-ASCII characters

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with PATHs having non-ASCII characters
Date: 2010-01-07 02:49:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:
> Windows always uses UNICODE to store file and directory names.

So what does that mean when the filesystem is a shared filesystem or
one mounted in Windows but originally written out by another OS?

I think the answer is that it interprets the data on disk as being in
an encoding the user claims it is and if it isn't then things go bad.
I'm not sure what that means for writable filesystems when you try
writing a unicode character that encoding can't encode though.

--
greg