Re: creating index names automatically?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating index names automatically?
Date: 2009-12-23 18:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> No, not really.  Past the grammar there is no way to tell concurrently
> from "concurrently", ie, if we did it like that then you couldn't even
> use double quotes to get around it.  Don't overthink this: either we
> reserve the word or we don't put in the feature.

Well still in the realm of overthinking.... Is there anything to be
gained by having a class of reserved word which can be used for
columns but not relations? I think most of the conflicts we worry
about are with column names, not table names, and reserving names from
use as index names isn't even a standards violation.

--
greg