Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-20 13:03:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Rob Napier<rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
> No. Firstly, I have been a customer of theirs, so it is not spam.
>
> Secondly, they are a PR distribution house. They maintain a database of
> contacts for journalists. This is the bread and butter of PR consultants.
> The ad is simply claiming to offer more targeted mail outs to avoid being
> seen as a spammer.

Well I don't think we should be spamming no matter how targeted and no
regardless of how a PR person thinks it should be seen.

> And at the risk of suggesting that your response confirms my point, PR is
> not a simple process. It needs to be done by people who really understand
> the complexities of getting quality stories placed.

I still don't see how getting stories "placed" leads to good software.
I would rather believe that good software will lead to stories than
the other way around.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf