Re: PostgreSQL configuration

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Date: 2004-04-12 06:38:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>

>>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>

>>>My idea was to put config files in /usr/local/pgsql/data/etc, not
>>>
>>>pgsql/etc.
>>>
>>>We don't put Unix configuration files in /, etc put them in /etc.
>>>

>>Sorry, I missed the 'data' pathname. However - I may be a bit slow - but
>>I do not see how this will handle the situation where you have one
>>installation of pgsql running several clusters. (I am not sure how
>>common this situation is mind you)
>>

>It is common. Moving things to data/etc will make things clearer, and
>see my later email on an initdb option to put /data/etc/ somewhere else
>and put a symlink for /data/etc.

Hmmm, the current setup handles this situation sensibly and without the need for symlinks. So this does not look like an improvement to me...

This *could* work without symlinks if you introduce a "name" for each initialized cluster, and make this part of the config file name. This would mean that you could use 'data/etc' and have many config files therein, each of which would *unambiguously* point to a given cluster.

As a general point I share Tom's concern about breaking the association between the initialized cluster and its configuration file - e.g: I start "prod" with the configuration for "test" by mistake, and "test" has fsync=false... and something pulls the power...

regards

Mark