Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

From: Gregory Wood <gwood(at)ewebengine(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Date: 2004-04-07 04:23:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:16:50PM -0500, Steve Manes wrote:
>
>>I think he probably means like an Oracle job. Although cron works, that
>>would be handy so you wouldn't need to write wrapper scripts just to run
>>a proc.
>
> I hate to sound like an oldbie crank (although I'll admit to being a
> crank), but what exactly is the advantage supposed to be here? One
> invents a new special bit of database code which exists just so people
> don't have to write shell scripts? I guess the idea gets under my
> skin just because I have enough time-based problems without inventing
> a new interface to make it more complicated.

The only real advantage I see are for those people in hosting
environments that don't really have access to cron. I suppose it's also
valuable in making your scripts more portable as you wouldn't need to
make further alterations to the system beyond restoring a database
backup or whatnot.

In all, I think PostgreSQL has bigger fish to fry.

Greg