Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>
To: Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 02:06:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Frank,
pls. apologize. Maybe my description was not so clear. What I was
referring to was the fact that under MySQL you have more freedom to give
individual users of a shared server rights to create and manage their
databases In addition all databases are kept in separate directories
unlike postgres.

As a server administrator, this make life simpler and you dont need to
worry about other users messing around outside their designated environment.

I guess one reason users compare MySQL with Postgres is that they see
the benefits of postgres and intend to switch or at least look into it,
but at the same time they dont want to compromise when it comes to ease
of use and administration.
MySQL is still the default database offered by any web hosting company
and if Postgres wants to become the designated db engine for these
services or become the worlds no.1 open source db then i think lots of
things need to be done. Take for example the admin interface (MySQL
Administrator) for MySQL which is done very professionally or the ease
of setting up Replication. Postgres still is quite far behind there and
for normal users that know MySQL best the transition is probably a too
big step and risk.

But then again, it might not be the aim of postgres to become that no1
open source db and part of every web hosting environment. Instead rather
to be an alternative for the serious databases for corporate use.

Might actually quite interesting to start a discussion on this topic
here :-)

Cheers
Alex