Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>
Cc: Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 02:33:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Alex wrote:

> Frank,
> pls. apologize. Maybe my description was not so clear. What I was
> referring to was the fact that under MySQL you have more freedom to give
> individual users of a shared server rights to create and manage their
> databases In addition all databases are kept in separate directories
> unlike postgres.

Huh? Each database under PostgreSQL is kept under a seperate directory on
the server ... always has been that way ..

As to the ability to create/manage their own databases .. pls elaborate on
what issues you've had with this under PostgreSQL, as its a simple ALTER
command to provide a user with both CREATE USER and/or CREATE DATABASE
permisisons ...

> MySQL is still the default database offered by any web hosting company

No it isn't ... I can name three companies that offer PostgreSQL as a
primary database, and at least one of them only has MySQL as a means to do
migrations ... and those are just the ones that I know personally ...

> and if Postgres wants to become the designated db engine for these
> services or become the worlds no.1 open source db then i think lots of
> things need to be done. Take for example the admin interface (MySQL
> Administrator) for MySQL which is done very professionally or the ease

Please provide some examples .. I know any attempt I've made to do
adminstrative stuff under MySQL has ended in a headache, but I've been
using PostgreSQL for almost a decade now, so I find PostgreSQL the easier
of the two ...

----