Re: [GENERAL] PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From: Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>
To: lnd(at)hnit(dot)is
Cc: Postgres SQL List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PHP or JSP? That is the question.
Date: 2004-03-23 19:05:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Yes java is compiled, and compilers do catch most syntax and scope
errors, as I said,
but the java object code is still interpreted. Logical errors and other
mistakes still get
through compilation, and good regression testing is still required for
quality assurance.

I think JSP is an excelent solution and is probably the way I will go.
We already have
Jakarta Tomcat running inhouse, but I havn't touched Java since 1996.

I started with PHP about a year ago and after 1 week I had succefully
written a radius
authentcated session based PostGreSQL reporting application. A couple
months ago I
wrote a data collection application that stores data in a MySQL database
{yik, not my
choice} and a PHP front end that generates tables graphs and statistical
analysis, and it
took one day to build and test thoroughly.

I used to use Perl or white my own CGI's in C, but PHP is so, much
easier than either.
I have been programming since 1981 and have learned many languages on many
platforms. I have maintained a few Sun servers but usualy in a mix with
other Unix
variants. Because of the mixed environments and poor Java support on
many platforms
I never had a good reason to use java. Most of the applications I have
written did not
need complicated GUI interfaces, so C and Perl have done fine for a long
time, and
PHP is adequate for simple DB applications. I am entertaining JSP for
the more
complicated GUI interface for a project I may need to build in the near
future.
Management has asked about ASP, but since we have to support many non
windows
platforms I have strongly advised against it, besides I feel JSP will be
much better.

Do you have a suggestion for a good resource, in order for me to get up
to speed
quickly with Java?

...snip...
--