Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From: Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>
To: lnd(at)hnit(dot)is
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.
Date: 2004-03-23 16:00:58
Lists: pgsql-general

lnd(at)hnit(dot)is wrote:

>It may be added to the Mark's points bellow that PHP has more libraries in
>the out of the box setup (like regular expressions) but PHP is interpreted
>(right?) while JSP is compiled: when I was making decision I have chosen JSP
>because of "compiled" criteria: I do like the idea to catch as many bugs as
>possible at compile time and rather hate "interpreted" development.

Sorry but your not correct.

Java is a binary 'interpreted' language. Although it is binary it is not
a binary exucutable
native on almost all platforms. The java executable interprets the java
binary code and
translates it into native machine executable code. Since the binary data
is tokenized it is
more efficient and has already had it syntax and scopes verified so less
processing is
required making it faster once it has been compiled.

One of the bigger advantages of JSP is the two way data flow capability.
With the
java application running at the client end providing the interface, and
the java servlet
running at the server end doing the I/O, JSP can make a more fluid
feeling interface.
With PHP once the page is rendered it is static.

I did not know that AOLserver was TCL based, but that is if I remember
correctly
simmilar to JSP, but I don't remember it being precompiled. I
experimented with
a tcl module and appletts years ago, but I didn't have an application
for it back then.

I do have a DB application that needs to be able to quickly "flip"
between a selection
records now. I have not decided which way to go yet.

--
Guy Fraser
Network Administrator

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.