Re: how to view the content of schema pg_catalog?

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Fei Liu <fei(dot)liu(at)aepnetworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to view the content of schema pg_catalog?
Date: 2007-05-09 23:38:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

On May 8, 2007, at 1:33 PM, Fei Liu wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> Please include the list in your replies so that others can learn.

>>> netilla=# \dn
>>> List of schemas
>>> Name | Owner
>>> --------------------+----------
>>> information_schema | postgres
>>> pg_catalog | postgres
>>> pg_toast | postgres
>>> public | postgres
>>> (4 rows)
>>>
>>> netilla=# select * from pg_catalog;
>>> ERROR: relation "pg_catalog" does not exist
>>>

>> That would be because pg_catalog is a schema; you can't select
>> from it.
>> If you want to see what's in there, use \dS.
>>
> Thanks, \dS works ( it does not take an argument). Is there a
> programtic way for me to see this from either Perl or C? Does pgsql
> export APIs to check schema content?

Sure, read about the structure of the catalog tables in the docs and
query them directly. Starting psql with the -E option and running
various \d commands might prove enlightening as well. You can also
take a look at the definition of stuff in information_schema or the
newsysviews project on pgFoundry.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net