Re: [HACKERS] compile warning in CVS HEAD

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] compile warning in CVS HEAD
Date: 2004-03-19 01:06:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>Patch attached. Also adds a malloc() check that Neil wanted.
>>

>Er, what on God's green earth is elog.c doing malloc'ing stuff at all?
>This should be a palloc in the ErrorContext; that's what it's for.
>As is, this code is guaranteed to fail under out-of-memory conditions.

Well, it's a one-off allocation into a static variable, if that makes
any difference. If not, I accept the rebuke :-)

I first published the ancestor of this code many months ago, and nobody
has objected until now. But there is always room for improvement I
guess, including in my own knowledge. I'll be happy to change it if need be.

cheers

andrew