Re: rapid degradation after postmaster restart

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: rapid degradation after postmaster restart
Date: 2004-03-17 05:18:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> If memory serves, the problem is that you actually sleep 10ms even when
> you set it to 1. One of the thing changed in Jan's later patch was the
> ability to specify how many pages to work on before sleeping, rather
> than how long to sleep inbetween every 1 page. You might be able to do
> a quick hack and have it do 10 pages or so before sleeping.

I thought I remembered something about that.

It turned out to be less difficult than I first thought to extract the
vacuum delay stuff from Jan's performance patch. I haven't yet tried it
out, but it's attached in case you are interested. I'll report back once
I have some results.

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
performance_mod.74.diff text/plain 4.9 KB