Re: Log rotation

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log rotation
Date: 2004-03-15 16:18:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Manfred Spraul wrote:
>
>>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>

>>>Which basically shows one fsync, no O_SYNC's, and setting of the flag
>>>only for klog reads.
>>>

>>Which sysklogd do you look at? The version from RedHat 9 contains this
>>block:
>

> I looked on NetBSD, FreeBSD, and BSD/OS.

Bruce, I've asked around in Red Hat and that was the answer. I confess
I did not understand if "upstream" means the Linux community or the
syslogd source...

Anyway, do you have recent FreeBSD or NetBSD sources?

Regards,
Fernando

Fernando Nasser (fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com) said:

>> It seems that our syslogd fsyncs on each write, while the NetBSD,
>> FreeBSD, and BSD/OS ones don't.

Standard upstream behavior, been that way pretty much forever.
As for any reason why, it's probably tradition at this point.

As mentioned, you can configure it away for any log that you
don't want it.