Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org
Date: 2004-03-12 01:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
>

>>On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:14:10PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>>A) Favor www.postgresql.net
>>>B) Favor www.pgfoundry.org
>>>C) Don't care as long as the porting is relatively painless.
>>>

>>I'm not crazy about the name pgfoundry, but otherwise I think it's the
>>better choice. The "www." problem could be circumvented by renaming the
>>project, perhaps, but I think it's best to keep a distinction between
>>"Postres, the database" and "related projects."
>>

>Actually, proposal (A) does provide such a separation: notice that the
>projects would go under *.postgresql.net, with the core database remaining
>at *.postgresql.org. I am not sure if that will provoke confusion or
>not, but I think I like it better than pgfoundry because it is clear
>that the domains are related. pgfoundry seems a bit, um, random.

I'm really going to try hard to stay out of all the hoohaa that seems to
be boiling ... I got involved arse-end foremost because I was stupid
enough to tell Josh that he could call on me if he needed things done in
Perl or Java, and he took sufficient license from that to inveigle me
into a lot of other stuff, none of which looks remotely like Perl or
Java. :-). I do enough webbish stuff by day and would far rather spend
*my* time in a modest way making postgresql even better than it is.

There are 2 name issues - the base site and the project sites. If I am
web surfing and I go to foo.net or www.foo.net I expect (other things
being equal) to go to the main page for organization foo. Going to some
other page for the foo organization is just a bit weird. Now I know
there are exceptions, millions of them, but they always jar slightly.
That's why we settled on pgfoundry.net.

There is no reason, however, that the individual projects could not live
under both domains, i.e. projname.postgresql.net and
projname.pgfoundry.net. This is very doable.

As for "pgfoundry" - the name isn't set in concrete. In fact it is
entirely trivial to change. Suggest another that might be better.

cheers

andrew