Re: pgFoundry WAS: On pgweb project

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgFoundry WAS: On pgweb project
Date: 2004-03-10 21:08:48
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>Wow. Can you brief everyone on the current state of the
>>portal project?
>>What's going on with its design?
>
> I don't know - ask the guy that has taken over the development of the
> first stage. I'm sure he has a project plan for the development and
> installation - he's a stickler for getting everything done perfectly
> professionally.

Yes, "he" has.

And if I had access to the pgweb module, I would've already published the tasks
required to complete "phase 1" in its tracker.

I don't have time right now to work on the site (and will not have the time
until the end of March probably), but there is a lot of small tasks to be done
that are pretty orthogonal to each other. If there are those willing to work on
the site they could take these tasks up...

>>When to expect this "next stage"?
>

> When the first has been completed - we discussed it at length a short
> while ago: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-01/msg00099.php
> (towards the end)

What's done/not done in regards to this mail:
1) HTML is separated from PHP, template engine is used to output HTML. This
means that anyone wishing to do some fixes on site's HTML can start doing this
already.
2) gettext-based translation works. I won't suggest actually translating the
site until someone edits and proofreads the English version, although.

3) There are a lot of static pages that should be moved to "portal" in the form
of the templates.
4) handleform.php is not rewritten yet. It should probably be localized using
gettext, too.
5) Admin interface wasn't touched yet. BTW, admin/pages.php and
admin/templates.php can be safely removed, as templates / pages are not stored
in the database anymore.
6) Static site generation wasn't tested / worked out yet. The upside is that the
current version can be mirrored by something as simple as wget.
7) Renaming of URLs (I don't like "users-lounge", sorry) while preserving
backwards compatibility (visitor shouldn't hit 404).

Tasks 3-7 are what is between us and finish of "phase 1".