Re: [PERFORM] syslog slowing the database?

From: "Magnus Naeslund(t)" <mag(at)fbab(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>, PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] syslog slowing the database?
Date: 2004-03-10 01:06:38
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I turned syslog back on and the restore slowed down again. Turned
>>it off and it sped right back up.
>

> We have heard reports before of syslog being quite slow. What platform
> are you on exactly? Does Richard's suggestion of turning off syslog's
> fsync help?

Another tip is to use a better (well atleast more optimized) syslog
implementation, like metalog. It optimizes log writes to a blocksize
that is better for disk throughput.
You can also use "per line" mode with those if you want, i think.

I use another logger that is called multilog (see at http://cr.yp.to),
that's a pipe logger thing, like one per postmaster.
It also gives very exact timestamps to every line, has built in log
rotation and works nice with all programs i use it for.

One thing is for sure, if you log much, standard syslog (atleast on
linux) sucks big time.
I gained back approx 30% CPU on a mailserver over here by changing to
another logger.

Cheers
Magnus