Re: one byte data type

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: one byte data type
Date: 2004-03-08 16:13:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz> writes:
>

>>Is there a datatype that means "one byte"?
>>

>You might be able to use the "char" type (note the quotes). I am not
>sure how well it will cope with storing zeroes (nulls) though.
>
> regards, tom lane

Hmm, this will also screw up textual queries. Not important for this
particular case, but not a good general solution. What are the chances
of adding such a type for 7.4.2?

Shachar
P.S.
Notice how this message arrives directly as well, despite spam filters.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting