Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, 'Gavin Sherry' <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, tswan(at)idigx(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was
Date: 2004-03-03 05:11:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>>Maybe specify an archive location (that of course could be on a separate
>>partition) that the external archiver should check in addition to the
>>normal WAL location. At some predetermined interval, push WAL log
>>segments no longer needed to the archive location.
>
> Does that really help? The panic happens when you fill the "normal" and
> "archive" partitions, how's that different from one partition?

I see your point. But it would allow you to use a relatively modest
local partition for WAL segments, while you might be using a 1TB netapp
tray over NFS for the archive segments. I guess if the archive partition
fills up, I would err on the side of dropping archive segments on the
floor. That would mean a new full backup would be needed, but at least
it wouldn't result in a corrupt, or shut down, database.

Joe