Re: Avoid MVCC using exclusive lock possible?

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoid MVCC using exclusive lock possible?
Date: 2004-02-29 14:15:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jon Jensen wrote:
> How would you do a rollback if an error occurred mid-query? How would you
> keep your table from being a big pile of junk if a power failure happened
> during the query?

As most non-MVCC database do: by writing WAL records.

In theory, it seems to me that we could implement an overwriting
storage manager for PostgreSQL (i.e. we'd have both MVCC and non-MVCC,
and allow users to choose at runtime). It would require a *lot* of
work, but I can't see any fundamental reason why it wouldn't be possible.

-Neil