setting datestyle for different databases within a cluster

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: setting datestyle for different databases within a cluster
Date: 2004-02-28 02:45:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Boy, I'm just full of questions today ...

Is there a way to provide different persistent settings for DateStyle for
different databases within the same cluster?

Simply put, I've got two databases and I'd like to have 2 different DateStyles,
and I'd like to have it so I don't have to set the DateStyle at the beginning
of each session. Looking through the docs:
1) I don't want to use SET DATESTYLE because I can't guarantee that each app
that connects will set it since I can't control them all.
2) I can't use the postgresql.conf file, because that forces me to use the
same DateStyle for each database within a cluster.
3) I can't use the environment variable for the same reason as #1, in addition
to the fact that many of these apps may access through ODBC.
4) I tried, experimentally, to set DateStyle in the pg_settings table, but it
seems to work some magic that the setting is set back to the config file
default at the end of a session (bummer).

Any suggestions?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies