Re: Pl/Java - next step?

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pl/Java - next step?
Date: 2004-02-21 18:46:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> That's an interesting thougth. The postmaster just forks. It never exec's
> right? Is this true for win32 as well? I've never tried it but it might be
> worth pursuing. Sun's new Java 1.5 jvm does this albeit a bit differently.
> An initializer process starts up and persists its state. Subsequent JVM's
> then reuse that state. I definitely plan for Pl/Java_JNI to take advantage
> of that.

It would be easy enough to test. Just put a line in postgresql.conf like:
preload_libraries = '$libdir/plr:plr_init'
substituting the specifics for PL/Java.

This causes the postmaster to load the library and execute the "init"
function. Subsequent forked backends get a copy. I don't honestly know
what happens with the win32 port though -- anyone out there know?

Joe