Re: Contents of pg_listener linger?

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contents of pg_listener linger?
Date: 2004-02-06 16:18:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:

>Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com> writes:
>

>>What causes the contents of pg_listener to "linger" long past the lifespan of
>>the associated database backend? My table has rows that I know must be days old.
>>

>PG version?

7.3.4

>In any case, if there is a row for a dead backend it should be removed
>the first time someone tries to "notify" that condition name and
>discovers that he can't signal the dead backend. If you've got days-old
>dead rows they must be for very-infrequently-notified conditions.
>
> regards, tom lane

Yup, that seems to be the case. When I "NOTIFY" these, they disappear.
Any other way to clean them up? The problem is that there's one legit
listener, and umpteen dead ones. I can rig up something to notify all
these but I have to make sure that the legit listener is offline.

--
Jeff Boes vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer fax 269.349.9076