Re: R: slow seqscan after vacuum analize

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: Iain <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: 'Edoardo Ceccarelli' <eddy(at)axa(dot)it>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: slow seqscan after vacuum analize
Date: 2004-02-05 16:23:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Iain wrote:

>>Yes, you are right but it wasn't the case this time, I have run the
>>

>explain plenty of
>

>>times with same results. I think that the reason was that I made a simple
>>

>VACUUM,
>

>>after a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE (1h!!) things are ok
>>

>It's reasonable to expect that a seq scan will perform faster after a full
>vacuum, as the physical size and organization of the table has been changed.
>
>I wouldn't expact a plain vacuum to have any tangible affect on performance,
>for the better or for the worse..

A plain VACUUM (without ANALYZE) will change the layout of the data
without refreshing the optimizer information, so that anything that DOES
use the optimizer will often be negatively affected; VACUUM ANALYZE
does a vacuum AND refreshes the optimizer information.

I usually run VACUUM ANALYZE on an hourly basis on our production
system, and it's fast enough and unobtrusive enough that I can't tell
that it's running (except by looking at the log, of course).