Selects query inside function must read commited data

From: "V i s h a l Kashyap (at) [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Selects query inside function must read commited data
Date: 2004-01-25 08:51:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
Dear all ,

Would like to receive your kind attention and enormous knowledge on the

I have a function
Which does as follows and in the same order:
1. Retrieves the latest record from the table test_sai
   (By latest I mean the record corresponding to max primary key of the
2. Increments date as received from test_sai.current_date
   as my_new_date := test_sai.current_date + 1 ;
3. Inserts the new date into the same table test_sai
4. Calls another function sai_func_b()
   Now inside sai_func_b()
   1. Does as #1 of above
   2. Works on the date in the last record.
   3. Returns success code to sai_func_a()
5. The sai_func_a() finishes the work

Now My question :
Since sai_func_a() which encapsulates the function sai_func_b has not
completed yet till #4 or #5
then how does the function sai_func_b reads the new data since it is not
committed yet.

If I am not wrong PostgreSQL select statements works on committed data
thus the new
inserted data at #3 must not be available to sai_func_b() till #5

Server Specs:
1. version
PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.2
20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
2.Both functions are plpgsql and are not triggers

If you need more information kindly ask for the same.

Vishal Kashyap

I Know you believe my words so logon to
and add vishalkashyap(at)jabber(dot)org to your roster.
I am usually called as Vishal Kashyap
but my Girl friend calls me as Vishal CASH UP.
This is because others know me because of my generosity
and my Girlfriend knows me because of my CASH.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Arun GananathanDate: 2004-01-25 10:13:11