Re: Unable to compare _bpchar for similarity in WHERE-clause (MINOR A NNOYANCE)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nicolai(at)ISYS(dot)DK
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to compare _bpchar for similarity in WHERE-clause (MINOR A NNOYANCE)
Date: 2001-12-14 16:06:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Nicolai(at)ISYS(dot)DK writes:
> When I try to write an UPDATE where I include a WHERE-clause like:
> [WHERE something='{"a","b","c"}], where something is a character[], i get
> the errormessage:[Unable to identify an operator = for types '_bpchar and
> 'unknown' You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast]
> The above statement works for text[].

Hmm. Looks like there is a pg_operator entry for text[] = text[],
but none for bpchar[] = bpchar[]. This is an oversight, nothing more.
Feel free to add such an entry --- it can point to the same array-equals
function as the one for text[].

It's too late to fix this in the standard catalogs for 7.2, but I'll
make a note for 7.3.