stuck spinlock. Aborting. What does this mean?

From: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: stuck spinlock. Aborting. What does this mean?
Date: 2001-12-14 16:35:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Good day,

cenes=> select version();
version
PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.95.2
(1 row)

(I know it is old, update is in the queue)

The following happened to our production system few minutes ago.

Our web interface gave a standard error message saying db doesn't work.
I looked and found several postgres processes with parent process init
and *no* postmaster process.

Please have a look at the log at

http://www.bluetwanger.de/postgres.fail.log

It is 13K.

Can someone tell me what happend and clarify the situation?

Thanks

Markus Bertheau

P.S. I will be reading email for around 1 hour from now on, after that
comes the weekend, and I don't have internet at home. So don't wonder if
I don't answer.