Re: Pass data of database Oracle to PostgreSQL

From: Thierry Missimilly <THIERRY(dot)MISSIMILLY(at)BULL(dot)NET>
To: Cláudia Morgado <claudia(dot)morgado(at)widesoft(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: cmmello(at)wide(dot)com(dot)br, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pass data of database Oracle to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-01-23 09:02:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm not sure to well understand your problem.
But, Ora2pg need 3 modules :
- Two of them : DBI-1.38 and DBD-Pg-1.22 have to be comile and install
from your Postgres environnement. For example /home/postgres.
- And DBD-Oracle-1.14 has to be compile and install in your Local Oracle
environment. For example : /home/oracle. With the Oracle Shell variables
set :
$ORACLE_BASE
$ORACLE_HOME

Futher more, the script ora2pg need in the first lines the setting of
your local host ORACLE_HOME, for example :
$ENV[ORACLE_HOME]='/home/oracle/product/9.2.0'

That means that if your Postgres Database is on serverA and you want to
migrate an Oracle database form serverB, you have to have an Oracle
client on ServerA and set the Perl variables as these :
my $dbsrc = 'dbi:Oracle:host=serverB;sid=advisor2; port=1521';
my $dbuser = 'system';
my $dbpswd = 'syspasswd'

If you don't have an Oracle Client Licence on serverA. It is more
complex. I think in that case, that a better idea is to install Postgres
on ServerB, do the migration, dump the Postgres migrate DB, and restore
the dump on ServerA.
One more thing, I have noted that a same DB takes at least twice disk
space on Postgres than on Oracle. I haven't still, dicovered why.

Thierry Missimilly

Cláudia Morgado wrote:

> Hi , We still don´t obtain to user the Ora2pg.pl. :( In the
> installation of the requirement ones of the Ora2pg.pl a problem in the
> compilation of module Perl DBD:Oracle occurred.
> It sees the error below:
> " The ORACLE_HOME environment variable must be set.
> It must be set to hold the path to an Oracle installation directory
> on this machine (or a machine with a compatible architecture).
> See the README.clients file for more information.
> ABORTED!" The migration that we are making is of the database
> Oracle 8i for PostgreSQL 7.4.1, being that the database are installed
> in different servers. How we can continue in this
> installation? regards,Carla e Cláudia

Attachment Content-Type Size
THIERRY.MISSIMILLY.vcf text/x-vcard 327 bytes