Re: Getting the results columns before execution

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL OLE DB development <oledb-dev(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting the results columns before execution
Date: 2004-01-19 16:09:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz> writes:
>

>>... This is a problem, as merely preparing a command is
>>not enough to get the returned rows information.
>>

>Sure it is, if you are using the V3 protocol (new in 7.4).
>See the Describe message types.
>
> regards, tom lane

Are those exposed through the libpq interface?
If not, is there a way to use the libpq interface for most operations,
and only for the rest to use whatever it is you are suggesting I use
(couldn't locate it in the docs, yet)

Funnily enough, mandating protocol version 3 is not my problem at the
moment. I may have to do so for a host of other reasons as well. I
guess, if you want to use an earlier version of the database, you will
have to make do with the ole db to ODBC interface.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting