Re: Problems with \copy and delimiters ','

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with \copy and delimiters ','
Date: 2004-01-16 20:24:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I want to do this
>>\copy table_name from 'table_name.cdf' delimiters ',';
>
>>But I get:
>>\copy: parse error at "delimiters"
>
> Looking at the psql code, it evidently wants "with delimiter" ...
>
> regression=# \copy table_name from 'table_name.cdf' with delimiter ','
> table_name.cdf: No such file or directory

Yes, that does indeed work. Note "with delimiter" not "with delimiters"

>>The documentation I've found on \copy says to see the docs on copy ;)
>
> It's *supposed* to match the backend syntax, but seems a few bricks
> shy of a load at the moment. Anyone feel like fixing it? See
> parse_slash_copy() in src/bin/psql/copy.c.

Oops ... I'll try to look at this code this weekend, but (to be honest)
I doubt I'll have much time to do anything to it. Unless the fix it
very simple, I probably won't get anything done.

BTW Tom: I see your mailserver rejects mail from Adelphia. I can't say
that I blame you, but it prevents me from emailing you directly until I
get smtp auth set up on mail.potentialtech.com (which, based on my
schedule, is not a priority right now ...) But I did have something
Pittsburgh-related that I wanted to ask you about ... could you give
me a phone call, possibly? (# is on the web site) or pass on another
way that I could reach you?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies