Re: POSIX regex performance bug in 7.3 Vs. 7.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wade <wade(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POSIX regex performance bug in 7.3 Vs. 7.2
Date: 2003-02-01 03:52:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wade <wade(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
> We recently upgraded a project from 7.2 to 7.3.1 to make use of some of
> the cool new features in 7.3. The installed version is CVS stable from
> yesterday. However, we noticed a major performance hit in POSIX regular
> expression matches against columns using the ~* operator.

The only thought that comes to mind is that multibyte character sets are
supported in 7.3 whereas they were optional (and not default) in 7.2.
I'd not have expected a factor-of-150 performance hit from that, though.

Could you rebuild your backend with profiling enabled and get a gprof
summary of where the time is going?