Re: New trigger option of pg_standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New trigger option of pg_standby
Date: 2009-03-27 02:38:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Guillaume Smet
<guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Simon.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Earlier, we discussed having a single trigger file that contains an
>> option rather than two distinct trigger files. That design is better
>> because it allows the user to choose at failover time, rather than
>> making a binding decision at config time. That solution would be the
>> ideal one, IMHO, because it gives user more choice - and would allow us
>> to keep the -t option meaningfully. In that case the default should be
>> patience.
>
> Or you can define both files in your command line to have the choice.

Personally I like this.

> I like the idea of removing -t and adding 2 new options so that people
> are warned about the intended behavior.

OK, I'll change the patch as Simon suggested; removing -t and adding
two new options: -f = fast failover (existing behavior), -p patient failover.
Also I'll default the patient failover, so it's performed when the signal
(SIGINT or SIGUSR1) is received.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao