Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST

From: vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST
Date: 2005-12-05 08:16:50
Lists: pgsql-general

thanks for all your responses,
really appreciate it,

I am sorry but I am not as familiar with this as much as you are.

So are you suggesting, I need to send the Large object ID to the client?
Since the application is time critical, is there a way to skip one of the
two steps (querying once for LOID and then again for its data) to a one step
by sending the Object data in the first call?

Are there any examples or pseudocode someone who's implemented using
largeobjects to retrieve images to be shown as icons/images in web pages
(using Stored procedures).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/lo-examplesect.html
Is the above site's ExportFile() something that can help me (but it creates
a file, different from what i want)?

As far as the size is concerned, i am testing with image resource, but we
plan to store video clips too. Though we are planning to store thumbnails in
Large Objects too.

>> lo_get(oid) returns bytea
>> lo_set(oid, bytea) returns void
>> lo_ins(bytea) returns oid
>> lo_del(oid) returns void
How do you suggest i create lo_get(oid) function returning bytea data.

I have understood that TOAST is internal implementation, thanks for the
info.

thanks,
vish