Re: Repercussions of killing a vacuum

From: s anwar <sanwar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: DANTE ALEXANDRA <ALEXANDRA(dot)DANTE(at)bull(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Repercussions of killing a vacuum
Date: 2005-12-19 16:21:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Good Day,

I had about four tables in my database. One of the tables made the bulk of
data. It was 650GB in size. The rest of the tables were on the order of few
hundred MBs if that. My 650GB table had a composite primary key and an
additional unique index defined on it. The data was clustered on the index
defined by the composite primary key. I ran VACUUM VERBOSE FULL (no ANALYZE)
on the database. It did not finish running in over five days. The task that
seemed to be the slowest seemed to be the index build.

If I manually issue a CREATE INDEX on this table, it usually takes over a
day to finish.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Saadat.