Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value

From: "BJ Taylor" <btaylor(at)propertysolutions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value
Date: 2008-09-25 16:09:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey Tom,

Here are some recent logs from our system. Unfortunately, I didn't think to
grab the logs at the time I killed those processes, and now they are gone.
I found those processes by using ps, and then I killed them with a simple
kill *processid*. Here are samples of our current log files:

FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
LOG: autovacuum launcher started
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match: block 175337 links to
243096 instead of expected 29675 in index "dbmail_headervalue_3"
STATEMENT: INSERT INTO dbmail_headervalue (headername_id, physmessage_id,
headervalue) VALUES (4,12335778,'from [76.13.13.25] by
n6.bullet.mail.ac4.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 25 Sep 2008 04:01:36 -0000')
LOG: server process (PID 13888) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
[...]
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2008-09-25 09:12:41
MDT
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
LOG: redo starts at 3A/2D0DEA78
LOG: record with zero length at 3A/2D1B8D68
LOG: redo done at 3A/2D1B8D3C
LOG: last completed transaction was at log time 2008-09-25
09:12:45.204162-06
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
LOG: redo starts at 3A/2D1B8DA8
LOG: unexpected pageaddr 3A/2520A000 in log file 58, segment 45, offset
2138112
LOG: redo done at 3A/2D208660
LOG: last completed transaction was at log time 2008-09-25
09:12:47.971207-06
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 554365
STATEMENT: SELECT messageblk, is_header FROM dbmail_messageblks WHERE
physmessage_id = 12111760 ORDER BY messageblk_idnr
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

To be honest, I don't know if all of these logs are relevant or not. I half
way suspect that nagios causes the "unexpected EOF on client connection"
notices, but I can't be certain.

You also asked how it is being unstable. It drops connections seemingly at
random. The error received when a connection is dropped is the following:

WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

Thanks,
BJ