Re: Migration from FoxPro

From: reinoud(at)xs4all(dot)nl (Reinoud van Leeuwen)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migration from FoxPro
Date: 2001-06-12 22:47:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:36:02 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyone know of any alternatives to using pgAdmin to migrate a database
>(schema and data) from Foxpro to PostgreSQL? pgAdmin worked fine on my
>initial test database, but it was slow... very slow. I'd like to try to
>migrate one of our production databases, where several tables have
>200,000+ records each. I can export the data into a PG COPY friendly
>format, but was wondering if anyone knew of a tool that would migrate
>all of the primary keys and indexes too? Or a perl utility that would
>read the Foxpro database and generate the SQL commands needed to create
>the tables and indexes?

(assuming you use some windows version :-)

- Download the Powerdesigner 45 day trial from www.sybase.com
- make an ODBC connection to your database
- reverse engineer the datamodel
- change the target model to postgresql
- install postgresql odbc drivers
- generate a database creation script and execute it through the ODBC
connection
- create a report of your database for your documentation :-)
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud(at)xs4all(dot)nl
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud