Connection reset by peer / broken pipe

From: "Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff(at)referee-assistant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection reset by peer / broken pipe
Date: 2008-04-01 20:15:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Much the same as this person here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-02/msg00689.php

I am running Postgres 8.2.3 and am seeing the following error messages in my
logs:

LOG: SSL SYSCALL error: Connection reset by peer
LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG: could not send data to client: Broken pipe

The end result is my users are connecting on TCPIP and their connection is
"hanging" and they aren't able to finish their database transaction.
Sometimes this will also cause the database server to be extremely slow.

I am using a fair number of default values in my postgresql.conf file.

Do you have any advice? My configuration is below. Thanks in advance--

Jeff Wigal

CONFIGURATION

# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION

# - Connection Settings -

max_connections = 100

#superuser_reserved_connections = 2
#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777
#bonjour_name = ''

#authentication_timeout = 60
ssl = on
#password_encryption = on
#db_user_namespace = off

# - TCP Keepalives -
# see 'man 7 tcp' for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0

# RESOURCE USAGE (except WAL)

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 1000
#temp_buffers = 1000
#max_prepared_transactions = 5
#work_mem = 1024
#maintenance_work_mem = 16384
#max_stack_depth = 2048

# - Free Space Map -

#max_fsm_pages = 20000
#max_fsm_relations = 1000

# - Kernel Resource Usage -

#max_files_per_process = 1000
#preload_libraries = ''

# - Cost-Based Vacuum Delay -

#vacuum_cost_delay = 0
#vacuum_cost_page_hit = 1
#vacuum_cost_page_miss = 10
#vacuum_cost_page_dirty = 20
#vacuum_cost_limit = 200

# - Background writer -

#bgwriter_delay = 200 # 10-10000 milliseconds between rounds
#bgwriter_lru_percent = 1.0 # 0-100% of LRU buffers scanned/round
#bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 5 # 0-1000 buffers max written/round
#bgwriter_all_percent = 0.333 # 0-100% of all buffers scanned/round
#bgwriter_all_maxpages = 5 # 0-1000 buffers max written/round

# AUTOVACUUM PARAMETERS

autovacuum = on # enable autovacuum subprocess?
#autovacuum_naptime = 60 # time between autovacuum runs, in secs
#autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1000 # min # of tuple updates before
# vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 500 # min # of tuple updates before
# analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.4 # fraction of rel size before
# vacuum
#autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.2 # fraction of rel size before
# analyze
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = -1 # default vacuum cost delay for
# autovac, -1 means use
# vacuum_cost_delay
#autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1 # default vacuum cost limit for
# autovac, -1 means use
# vacuum_cost_limit

# LOCK MANAGEMENT

#deadlock_timeout = 1000 # in milliseconds
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64 # min 10
# note: each lock table slot uses ~220 bytes of shared memory, and there are
# max_locks_per_transaction * (max_connections + max_prepared_transactions)
# lock table slots.

VMSTAT -S

442368 total memory
51800 used memory