Re: Downtime

From: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Downtime
Date: 2009-02-19 13:51:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, Scott

Slony is a good software at all, we are using it now to replicate real data
to a dedicate report server and to a data center and works very well.
But when we have some downtime like crash hardware, the time to put the
slave node running, even as of less of 1 minute is too long for the company
bussiness, loosing a great amount of sales authorizations.
So we need a solution that in the time of crash another server right in the
moment could be working, receiving connections and transactioning.

This week I installed and used pg_cluster. I liked the idea of the software,
and is that what i'm looking for. But pg_cluster seems that is no more
upgraded, and there is a lot of bugs and errors.
I'm trying now the CyberCluster from CyberTech, developed under pgcluster.

I hope that you could understand the scenario.

Thnks,

Rafael Domiciano