Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic
Date: 2004-01-09 23:13:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>1. Yet none of you are marketers. You are developers.
>>

>Ah, so we have no opinions on the matter?

I never said, or suggested that.

>>project (the project of the flyers, etc..). I am suggesting that we
>>allow a specific avenue for the communication, that doesn't deviate from
>>that direction. And actually JoshB is suggesting it, I just agree with
>>him.
>>

>But, that was what was -advocay was created for in the first place ... a
>directed venue for talkign about all things related to advocacy ... if
>those on the list can't change subjects as appropriate, that isnt' going

Yes but we aren't really talking about advocacy globally here... I think
you are thinking too big picture.
We are talking about a relatively small piece of informaiton to get
hammered out for presentation to
the community.

When someone is creating and RFC, they don't go onto a list and say:

Hey I am thinking about making a green lightbulb.. What do you think?

They take time, and typically a small number of people who are
interested and develop a document
and REQUEST FOR COMMENTS on it.

That at least from I read is what JoshB is trying to do. He is trying to
make it so the person trying to
help has an adequate voice within the paradigm. Not everyone on this
list is going to contribute to that
project but if they were really interested they could join the list for
discussions on that project.

>to change if we create a sublist for each and every sub-project of
>advocacy ...
>

>>Remember all those recent threads about MySQL and their marketing
>>prowess... this is what we are talking about. MySQL marketing doesn't
>>happen on the frito-lay crumbs of a developers desk. It happens in rooms
>>with whiteboards, ties, coffee, cell phone and doughnuts.
>>

>and this is why marketing discussions aren't meant for -hackers, and why
>we created -advocacy ...

And why we should consider a temporary list for this part of advocacy.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake