Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.1 incredibly slow :-(

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.1 incredibly slow :-(
Date: 2004-01-05 02:50:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> One possibility (though I'm a bit dubious about it in your case) is a
> reverse DNS lookup on the server side that is timing out. You might
> do a
>
> $ dig -x client.ip.address
>
> on the server and see how long it takes.

Wow!! You guys are really good! (same goes for Martijn)

After doing some more testing, I actually reached this same
conclusion. I contacted our hosters to follow-up on this,
but the problem was solved (temporarily) by putting the
three hosts in the /etc/hosts file of each of the machines.

I do find it strange that reverse DNS lookups are required
under normal conditions (I mean, I did telnet 1.2.3.4 22
and it would take a while -- after I included the host name
and its IP address 1.2.3.4 in the /etc/hosts, the delay
just went away). Don't understand why this happens, but
in any case it would seem like PostgreSQL's communications
protocol has nothing to do with the problem.

Thanks!

Carlos