Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com
Cc: "Tony (Unihost)" <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please
Date: 2003-12-20 18:27:52
Lists: pgsql-general

John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

>It means that you can create stored procedures/functions which reside in
>the database that are written in java (as opposed to the native SQL
>programming language).
>
>Why would you want this? If you were more familiar with java than any of
>the currently supported procedural languages, then it means that you don't
>necessarily have to get to grips with another programming language.
>
>This would be a "nice to have" for Postgres too - I believe that it
>supports PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, and PL/Python at present.

PostgreSQL supports more than just that including:

pl/php
pl/perl
pl/ruby
pl/python
pl/tcl
pl/c
pl/pgsql
pl/r
plr/bash (I think... or was that just pgBash?)

There was an beta (alpha?) of pl/Java at one time...

Personally I would stick with pl/python, pl/php, or pl/perl

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org